III. Texas State Mission and Goals
The mission statement serves as a clear link to strategic planning, illustrates to external audiences our unique place among public universities, and reaffirms our campus identity. As the state and national environment changes, so do the needs of future students at Texas State. For this reason, the university mission statement goes through a formal review, such as the one described above, every three years.
Texas State University is a doctoral-granting, student-centered institution dedicated to excellence and innovation in teaching, research, including creative expression, and service. The university strives to create new knowledge, to embrace a diversity of people and ideas, to foster cultural and economic development, and to prepare its graduates to participate fully and freely as citizens of Texas, the nation, and the world.
Our Shared Values
- Teaching and learning based on research, student involvement, and the free exchange of ideas in a supportive environment;
- Research and creative activities that encompass the full range of academic disciplines—research with relevance, from the sciences to the arts, from the theoretical to the applied;
- The cultivation of character, integrity, honesty, civility, compassion, fairness, respect, and ethical behavior in all members of our university community;
- A diversity of people and ideas, a spirit of inclusiveness, a global perspective, and a sense of community as essential conditions for campus life;
- A commitment to service and leadership for the public good;
- Responsible stewardship of our resources and environment; and
- Continued reflection and evaluation to ensure that our strengths as a community always benefit those we serve.
Approved by the President’s Cabinet on October 3, 2016, and Revised on December 19, 2016 (Approved by the Board of Regents on February 16, 2017, and by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board on February 24, 2017)
Introduction to University Goals
The university goals and related initiatives outlined below reflect the Texas State philosophy that a successful university plan must be driven by the academic endeavor. The success of the plan is also dependent on the ability of all divisions to support that endeavor. A broad range of initiatives will be implemented and regularly assessed to determine progress we have made toward achieving university goals. Others may be added, as necessary, during the life of this plan. Additional goals and associated initiatives are contained throughout division and college plans that will also assist in achieving overall university goals.
Texas State University
2017-2023 University Goals, Initiatives, and Key Performance Indicators
Goal 1: Promote the success of all students.
Plan and implement activities aimed at improving the overall student experience and satisfaction.
Manage student enrollment, both at the graduate and undergraduate level.
- Graduate and undergraduate enrollment figures compared to prior year
Increase student retention and graduation rates.
- Student retention rates for all classifications compared to prior year
- Student graduation rates compared to prior year
Increase scholarship and grant resources to enhance recruitment, retention and graduation of students.
- Number of NEW scholarships awarded, including merit scholarships, and the total dollar amount
- Number of NEW grant resources and total dollar amount received that focus on recruitment, retention and graduation of students
Enhance advising, academic support programs and services to ensure student success.
Ensure marketable skills are incorporated into curricular and co-curricular experiences.
Prepare all students to achieve their career goals and make positive and meaningful contributions as they interact in a diverse and increasingly global society through an inclusive program of learning and engagement, rich with diverse perspectives.
- Number of NEW career support programs provided and number of participants
- Number of internships completed by students in the current year
- Number of face-to-face career counseling appointments
- Number of PACE career counseling sessions
Provide educational programs and co-curricular activities that foster community, service learning, leadership, career exploration, and personal development.
- Number of NEW educational programs provided and total number of attendees
- Number of NEW co-curricular activities provided and total number of participants
Leverage data and analytics to support growth in student success and institutional processes.
Establish the appropriate processes, procedures, and tools to support the necessary accommodations for constituents with disabilities.
Support the success of students by continuously improving the function, condition, reliability, and aesthetics of the facilities and grounds of the university.
- Number of NEW repair and renovation projects completed
- Number of NEW campus enhancement projects completed
Provide a supportive environment for students, including student athletes that encourages academic excellence, character development, and respectful interaction with others.
Provide all students with quality engagement opportunities that model the values associated with equitable competition, engender university pride, positive community relations, institutional prestige, and promote student well-being and development.
Goal 2: Offer high quality academic and education programming.
Introduce new academic programs that meet the economic and cultural needs of the region and the state.
- NEW programs proposed during the current academic year
- NEW programs approved during the current academic year
Provide quality educational programming that leverages diverse perspectives embedded in an inclusive learning environment.
- Number of NEW or modified academic programs that added multicultural or multi-perspective content
- Number of NEW or revised courses with multicultural or multi-perspective content
- Number of NEW academic, student support, and administrative programs/activities provided that leverage diverse perspectives and number of individuals served
Enhance and expand the Honors College experience to attract high-achieving students.
- Number and percent of students enrolled in the Honors College compared to prior year
- Number of NEW Honors sections offered
- Number of Honors College graduates compared to prior year
Improve the capabilities in our learning spaces and learning environments to better foster creativity, enable collaboration, and encourage discovery.
Transition Texas State’s Learning Management System environment to a more integrated, robust, and modern integrated learning system.
Support the growing academic requirements of the university by improving the condition and reliability of academic facilities and technology, creatively assisting departments in optimizing their use of space, and collaboratively planning and constructing new facilities.
- Number of capital projects completed and total cost
- Number of NEW property acquisitions during the current year
- Number of NEW technology initiatives implemented during the current year and total cost
Increase national and international visibility and presence by supporting curricular and co-curricular initiatives that prepare students to be responsible citizens.
Goal 3: Achieve significant progress in research and creative activity as measured by national standards.
Achieve National Research University Fund (NRUF) Eligibility.
- Total restricted research expenditures
- Total endowment funds
- Number of Ph.D. degrees awarded
- Percent of first-time entering freshman class in top 25 percent of high school class
- Status as member of Association of Research Library membership, Phi Beta Kappa Chapter, or Phi Kappa Phi Chapter
- Number of tenured/tenure-track faculty who have achieved international and national distinction through recognition as a member of one of the national academies, are Nobel Prize recipients, and have received other faculty awards as designated in the NRUF eligibility criteria
- Number of graduate level programs and graduation rates for master’s and doctoral programs
Develop new graduate programs to advance the university’s research goals.
- Number of NEW graduate programs proposed during the current year
- Number of NEW graduate programs approved during the current year
Encourage and promote student research opportunities.
Expand support to the research community by enhancing resources to support the evolving requirements while developing a staff of research professionals to support and assist researchers.
Foster a university-wide culture that promotes, rewards, and celebrates interdisciplinary research, scholarship, creative activity, innovation, and community engagement.
Goal 4: Provide the necessary services, resources, and infrastructure to support the university's strategic direction.
Offer competitive salaries to attract and retain highly qualified faculty and staff.
- Median salary levels for each faculty rank including professor, associate professor, assistant professor, and lecturer
- Percent increase in average staff salary levels for all categories
Plan and implement programs to help improve faculty and staff recruitment, hiring, and retention in order to support a highly qualified, diverse, motivated, and satisfied workforce.
- Number of NEW programs provided to help improve with faculty/staff recruitment, hiring, and retention
Promote excellence through effective planning, policy development, assessment, and reporting to ensure the continuous improvement of programs and services.
Implement fundraising initiatives in support of the university’s strategic direction.
- Total dollar amount raised for the current year
- Total dollar amount raised per strategic fundraising priority area
Provide training and educational resources to enhance personal and community safety.
- Number of NEW safety support activities introduced
- Increase/decrease in crime statistics
- Number of NEW educational activities related to applicable laws (e.g., Title IX, Campus Save Act, Violence Against Women Act)
Enhance information security practices to better predict, prevent, detect, and respond to threats to Texas State’s information systems and data.
- Number of NEW security practices implemented in the current year
Continue to improve strategies and models for governance and planning that are transparent and inclusive.
Expand Round Rock Campus resources and space to support the move of the College of Health Professions and growth of other academic offerings at this location.
- Number of capital projects completed in Round Rock and total cost
- Number of NEW property acquisitions in Round Rock during the current year
- Number of NEW technology initiatives implemented in Round Rock during the current year and total cost
Increase the utilization and effectiveness of available technologies through more impactful implementations, education, training, marketing, and communications.
Enhance the experience of the university community by continuously improving processes and interfaces.
- Number of NEW campus business improvements enabled or enhanced by technology
Provide a diverse and inclusive environment of support to achieve the highest level of performance for all members of the campus community.
Effectively engage alumni and external constituents to influence and generate human and financial capital opportunities.
- Number of NEW external constituent outreach (parents, families, business) activities and number of participants
- Total annual value of alumni and external constituent contributions
- Number and percent of alumni donating to Texas State compared to prior year
- Number and percent of recent (graduated within last five years) alumni that donate to Texas State compared to prior year
- Number of alumni volunteering their time on behalf of Texas State (e.g., board participation, Chapter leadership, guest speaker, faculty, judges, research, etc.)
- Number of NEW recognized alumni achievements for the current year
- Number of NEW Alumni Association sponsored and co-sponsored events and number of participants
- Number of NEW recognized alumni chapters
- Number of NEW alumni chapter hosted events and number of participants
Provide programs and services that support and enhance the health and wellness of the university community.
- Number of NEW student health and wellness activities provided and number of participants
- Number of NEW faculty and staff health and wellness activities provided and number of participants
Provide a competitive, high-profile, diverse, equitable athletics program, in compliance with applicable rules and regulations, which increases university prestige and creates exciting engagement opportunities.
Support the growing requirements of the university by enhancing the condition and reliability of the university infrastructure, creating redundancy to support essential building operating systems, and collaboratively planning and constructing new facilities.
- Number of deferred maintenance projects completed and total cost